Vancouver Island Engineers Society (VIES) is the operating name of the Victoria division of the Canada Society of Senior Engineers which in turn is a Constituent member of the Engineering Institute of Canada.
What is VIES?
VIES is a not for profit organization focused on supporting engineering students, practicing engineers, engineers in training (EIT’s) and other professionals in related disciplines with the intent of creating a community of learning, mutual support and information interchange
What does VIES do?
VIES provides an environment for engineers and related disciplines to enhance their skills, their professional standing, and networking exposure with the intent of supporting the needs of today and those of the future related to STEAM (Science, technology, engineering, arts, math)
How does VIES do this?
- VIES presents a regular speaker series of pertinent topics that allow multidisciplinary exposure to participating members. This is in cooperation with EGBC
- By participating in a number of these speaker events, VIES provides opportunities for practicing engineers to acquire required professional development experiences and credits (EGBC)
- In circumstances where direct professional engineering supervision or oversight is tenuous or absent, VIES provides, by way of providing Engineers in Training (EIT’s) with mentoring by professional engineers; an opportunity to complete their professional engineering registration.
- VIES donates funds in the form of scholarships and prizes to support engineering students
- VIES hopes to undertake a wrap around strategy, along with the University of Victoria, to identify and support Indigenous persons who are interested in attending university in the faculty of engineering
- VIES supports the development of leadership and innovation skills by providing awards for Co-op terms papers and Capstone projects.
VIES supports gender equality and diversity in society by welcoming people of all cultures, abilities, and voices.
Board of Directors
|VIES Board Structure||Director||Executive||Committee Chair|
|Board Chair||Mike Shannon||Yes||Nomination and Strategic Planning|
|Board Vice Chair||Murray Gray||Yes||Governance|
|Board Secretary & Treasurer||Robin Black||Yes||Finance|
|Director at Large||Don Kjosness||Speaker / Product Delivery|
|Director at Large||TomTiedje||UVic Development & Scholarship|
|Director at Large||Ray Brougham||UVic Student Clubs & P.Eng Accreditation Support|
|Director at Large||Ken Putt||UVic Executive Liaison|
|Director at Large||Colin Smith||Fundraising & Development|
|Director at Large||Marcel Gingras||EGBC Liaison|
|Director at Large||Steve Richards||IT|